Friday, December 2, 2011

Read a Book, Sip a Cocktail No. 12

Photo from Goodreads.com
Woo-Hoo, a whole year of book and cocktail pairings!  I'm halfway to my goal (see my first post here).  For this, the last installment of 2011 I'm going with a Devil in the Mud in honor of The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger.  Now, I read this book way before Anne Hathaway made Meryl Streep cringe wearing clunky loafers and blah sweaters in the movie version of the book.  I will admit that the movie is entertaining, but the book is SO much better.  The book captures all of the nuances of the characters in a way that the movie just didn't.  I also felt like all of the satirical qualities of the book were lost in the movie, and that was a big part of why I enjoyed the book.  Alas, I still recommend both the novel and the movie, but definitely read the book first (and drink this cocktail while you're at it).

This is a mud I wouldn't mind being stuck in
 Devil in the Mud
1 1/2 oz. Raspberry vodka
3/4 oz. Chocolate syrup
2 oz. Milk
1/2 oz. Chambord*
1/2 oz. White crème de cacao
How to:  Prep your martini glass with a drizzle of the chocolate syrup.  In a cocktail shaker mix ice, vodka, chocolate syrup, milk, Chambord, and the crème de cacao.  Shake for at least 20 seconds.  Serve in the prepared martini glass.  *Chambord Liqueur is a black raspberry liqueur from France that is made with raspberries, blackberries, Madagascar vanilla, Moroccan citrus peel, honey and cognac.

This gives the drink some of its tart and sweet raspberry flavor
Getting my swirl on before I poured the martini
Very fashionista, don't you think?

1 comment: