|Muller Bros. Car Wash, 1951 |
Photo by Allan Grant from the LIFE Photo Archive
- Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger is published.
- The first NBA All-Star game is played.
- Anjelica Huston, Kurt Russell, Kirstie Alley, and Phil Collins are born.
- A loaf of bread costs 16 cents, the average cost of a new car is $1,500 dollars, and a gallon of gas is 19 cents.
- The first oral contraceptive ("the pill") is invented at a small company called Syntex in Mexico.
- Popular singers include Perry Como, Nat King Cole and Tony Bennett.
- Elizabeth Taylor signs her first divorce from Conrad Hilton, Jr.
- Frank Sinatra records "I'm a fool to want you".
- I Love Lucy makes its debut.
- All About Eve wins the Oscar for Best Picture at the Academy Awards (see my movie review here).
- The average life expectancy is 68.4 years.
- Shoe designer Charles Jourdan introduces the stiletto heel, which begins to replace the more prevalent chunky styles of the time.
|Nine years later the stiletto is the source of some painful sacrifices for fashion, as seen here in 1960|
Photo by James Whitmore from the LIFE Photo Archive