Friday, June 10, 2011

Book Review: Clarity by Kim Harrington

Scholastic Point, 2011; 242 pages; ISBN  0545230500
My Goodreads Rating: 4 stars


I was expecting the typical paranormal book, but actually I quite enjoyed Clarity. It's more about having psychic abilities and it read like a Law and Order episode, so I really enjoyed that aspect of it since I'm a fan of the SVU component of that franchise. Clarity Fern, her mom and her brother all have psychic abilities. Her mom can tune into people's thoughts, her brother can communicate with the dead, and Clarity can touch objects and sense things about the person that used them last. They live in a small seaside town and use their gifts to sustain themselves. Clare is getting over her first love and break up (who cheated on her), and dealing with a new competitor that just moved into town, a physic named Madame Maslov, when a girl turns up dead at a nearby motel. This is the first murder in town in many years and it happens to be an election year. Clare's ex-boyfriend is the current mayor's son and he asks her to help out with the murder investigation by using her psychic gift of touch. It just so happens that there is a new detective in town and Clare teams up with his good looking son. You can see the love triangle a mile away, but it's fun to watch it unfold. I figured out who the guilty parties were in so far as the murder mystery was concerned, but that's probably because I do watch a lot of crime shows like Law and Order SVU and CSI. Clare is the kind of female protagonist I can get behind because she is ballsy, but still vulnerable and charming. I look forward to more in this new series and recommend it to anyone who enjoys the YA paranormal genre. I also made a book trailer for Clarity, see it here:


Photo: From Goodreads.com website

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this book and found it to be a great read. It is a little shorter than most of the books I usually read but it is a great book if you are looking for a quick read.
    The Best Fleet Service Kent Premier

    ReplyDelete