Friday, March 4, 2011

Read a Book, Sip a Cocktail No. 3

Photo from Goodreads.com
A few years back after I was done with the Twilight series, I moved on to The Host by Stephenie Meyer, and I have to say that I truly did enjoy it.  My full review can be found here, but in a few words the book is about an alien/parasite species who take over human bodies for the good of planet Earth (or so they think).  

So for this read-a-book, sip-a-cocktail pairing I came up with this drink called A Wandering Alien (the main character is known as Wanderer).  I knew I wanted the drink to have a green color, so I chose to use a green-hued kiwi liqueur called Shakka (made by the Cruzan Rum company), which if you can't find it at a grocery store, you can look for it at a store like BevMo! (a dream come true of a store for me).  There are also apple and grape flavors, but for that eerie, alien-esque look stick to the kiwi (this is also a great drink to celebrate St. Patrick's Day if you're not into the green beer thing). I thought the kiwi flavor would go well with a citrus vodka and I also chose to use Kern's Aguas Frescas in the Limón flavor (you could also use some lemonade).  Sliced kiwi makes for a great garnish (doesn't the center of the kiwi kind of look an alien eye?).  The martini is very citrusy, sharp and tangy but also sweet.  If I were an alien I would drink it.  

"I, the soul called Wanderer, love you, human Ian. And that will never change, no matter what I might become." (from The Host by Stephenie Meyer)

A Wandering Alien
1/2 oz. Citrus Vodka
2 oz. Kiwi Shakka
2 oz. Kern's Aguas Frescas Limón
Sliced fresh kiwi
How to: In a cocktail shaker blend ice, vodka, Shakka, and juice.  Shake for at least 20 seconds.  Pour into a chilled martini glass and garnish with kiwi.


No comments:

Post a Comment