Friday, February 25, 2011

And the Oscar goes to....

Academy Awards, March 1958
Photo from Life.com
It's a well known fact (at least for us who indulge in the entertainment world) that the Oscars are the crème de la crème of Awards season.  I don't know about you, but my favorite part is not speculating who will get the Academy Award for best actress when a newcomer is up against a veteran, or what the latest host will do for ratings.  My favorite part is the fashion, and when I say fashion, I only mean dresses.  I really don't give a hoot about a tuxedo - because frankly they all look the same to me.  So I've decided to take a nostalgic look back at Oscar fashions of the past, and I've selected my top five Oscar dresses pre-1960 (in no particular order).  So without further ado, the Oscar goes to....


Grace Kelly, 1955, blue satin gown

    Photo from Photobucket.com

    Audrey Hepburn, 1954, belted lace gown

    Photo from Life.com

    Kim Novak, 1958, long sleeve sequin gown

    Photo from Dorisday.net

    Bette Davis, 1939, tulle gown with feather accent (it's nice to know that Björk wasn't the first to don dramatic feathers at the Oscars, see her dress here)

    Photo from Gettyimages.com

    Joanne Woodward, 1957, satin ballgown

    Photo from Oscar.go.com

    BONUS: A Fashion Don't by Olivia de Havilland in 1950
    Looks like the predecessor to the dress recently worn by Michelle Williams at the Golden Globes this year, with a similar flower print and flower applique on the straps to boot.
    Michelle Williams, 2011
    Photo from Cdn.buzznet.com
    Olivia de Havilland, 1950
    Photo from Life.com






    2 comments:

    1. These are beautiful! I really enjoyed this "classic" look at the Oscar's. Wonderfully well done!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thank you very much! It really is my favorite part about the Academy Awards. :)

      ReplyDelete