Friday, November 12, 2010

My Look Back: 1954

Sadly, my favorite artist (see last post) passed away this precise year, but there were of course much brighter things happening this, the year of my own Chinese Zodiac animal, the horse.  For one the Audrey Hepburn classic Sabrina (Paramount Pictures, 1954) was released, and for second that leads me to the exciting news of being featured on a storyboard for the newest ArcLight Cinemas location in El Segundo, which had its grand opening on November 5th.  For the photo shoot I mentioned that my all time favorite movie was Breakfast at Tiffany's (Paramount Pictures, 1961), so they prompted me to strike a pose à la Holly Golightly (please don't judge).  It was actually very strange getting photographed by professionals - I have to definitely give credit to all those who do this for a living.  It was not easy.  Fun, yes, but not easy.  I'd do it again though.  Here are a few other things that caught my eye as I looked back to 1954. 

  •  The movie Rear Window (Paramount Pictures, 1954), starring James Stewart and Grace Kelly, was released.
  • Marilyn Monroe married Joe DiMaggio.
  •  Lord of the Flies by William Golding was published.
  • The first Burger King opened in Miami, Florida selling burgers and shakes for 18¢ each.
  • The Miss America Pageant made its debut on television for the first time.
  • Oprah Winfrey, John Travolta, Christie Brinkley, Jerry Seinfeld, and Denzel Washington were born.
  • Ernest Hemingway won the Nobel Prize for Literature.
  • The film Godzilla (Toho Film (Eiga) Co. Ltd., 1954) made its debut in Tokyo, Japan.
  • Peanut M&M's were introduced.
  • The song "Fly Me to the Moon" was released.  The song's original name was "In Other Words" and it was written by Bart Howard.
  • Trix cereal was first introduced by General Mills.
  • General Electric introduced appliances in various colors besides the standard white.

No comments:

Post a Comment