Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Nostalgic Librarian

nos·tal·gia 
Pronunciation: \nä-ˈstal-jə, nə- also n-, nō-; nə-ˈstäl-\ 
Function: noun 
Etymology: New Latin, from Greek nostos return home + New Latin -algia; akin to Greek neisthai to return, Old English genesan to survive, Sanskrit nasate he approaches 
Date: 1729 
1 : the state of being homesick : homesickness 
2 : a wistful or excessively sentimental yearning for return to or of some past period or irrecoverable condition; also : something that evokes nostalgia  

I never thought I would actually be blogging, but here I am starting this "nostalgic" blog. I'm a librarian. I'm nostalgic. I'm even nostalgic for things, places and times from before I was born. I'm in love with the past I guess you could say. I like the second definition from Merriam-Webster the best. I sure do yearn for the past, but not in the sense of, "the good old days of my youth" type of yearning. I yearn for the swish, swish of a ballgown I never wore in 1952, or the glacier blue paint job of a Plymouth convertible in 1954 that I never drove, or even better yet the rosy and vanilla-scented smell of Soir de Paris perfume in 1928 that I never applied behind my ears. I search, research, and search again in my professional and personal life, and quite often I find myself fascinated with past eras, especially the 30's, 40's, and 50's. So more than anything I'm now going to keep track of my random musings on all things of the past, and I'll throw in some book reviews here and there, since I do read a ton of books. Whether or not anyone ever reads this, I sit here ready to be nostalgic, which is not hard since I'm already thinking I need to go to my nearest perfume counter to seek out a rosy, vanilla-scented smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment