Friday, April 23, 2010

Fire and Ice and Everything Nice

So recently I fell in love with Dorian Leigh. But first let me start at the beginning. I’ve had this screensaver of a picture taken by Cecil Beaton on my computer for ages. I switch it out every so often, but I always come back to it because I love, love, love the feeling that it captures for me. The photograph features about ten women, completely gussied up in gorgeous satin gowns in muted pastel colors. The draping on the gowns is exquisite. They are all in a very well-appointed room with high ceilings, beautiful mouldings, and a to-die-for crystal chandelier. The ladies are drinking what I can only imagine is coffee, tea, or espresso, and they are chatting and observing themselves whilst they do it. I want to be in that room. So apparently this photograph appeared in Vogue magazine in June 1948. The gowns are by Charles James. When I found the picture I didn’t bother to jot down the source, but I finally found the source only because of my renewed interest in finding a really great red lipstick. I searched for “the best red lipstick” and came across Revlon’s Fire and Ice Super Lustrous Creme Lipstick. I was further intrigued by the fact that the lipstick has been around since 1952 and that’s when I discovered Dorian Leigh. She was this fabulous model (some might say, one of the first “supermodels”) who did several advertisements for Revlon cosmetics in the late forties and early fifties. She was drop dead gorgeous is what she was. So I went out and bought myself a tube of Fire and Ice because it was touted to be great for all skin tones, and heck, if it had been around since the fifties, I just had to have it.
When I went to the drugstore I actually snatched up the last tube of the lipstick, and I even had a $1 dollar off coupon, so how lucky was I. I immediately tried the color and was pleasantly surprised. It is definitely more on the coral side, but still a very brilliant and crisp red. The texture is creamy indeed and it didn't feel heavy or uneven. It glides on easily, and it doesn't have any weird smell, which I've found with other drugstore lipsticks. I took two pictures, because the color really varies depending on the light. I don't think I will need any lip liner, but I'm sure it is one of those lipsticks that needs reapplying throughout the night, especially if I will be drinking or eating. Overall I am extremely happy that this lipstick has withstood the test of time, and I completely understand why.
And what does this have to do with my screensaver or my new found love for Dorian Leigh? Well it just so happens that Dorian Leigh is one of the models in said photograph. She stands pretty close to the center in a one-shoulder gown, with dark hair, looking off to the right (she's actually the 4th model from the left). It’s kind of a shame that we don’t see her face, but then again, she would have probably outshone all the other women (not to say that they aren’t beautiful as well). In any case, I was delighted to find out this little tidbit, and I’m even more excited to don my Fire and Ice tonight when I hit the town with some girlfriends.

No comments:

Post a Comment