Friday, November 4, 2011

Read a Book, Sip a Cocktail No. 11

Photo from Goodreads.com
For this month's pairing I'm going back to my favorite - vodka.  In keeping with the title of the book, The Blood of Flowers, I created a blood orange martini using vodka, blood orange syrup, pomegranate juice and some orange bitters.  I also added a tiny splash of fresh grapefruit to give it a little bit more of that sweet bitterness.  So far I think this is my favorite cocktail based on looks alone - I almost didn't want to drink it.  Almost.  Then I discovered it is actually my favorite cocktail of this year based on taste as well.  As for the story of our nameless protagonist in The Blood of Flowers, I really enjoyed this look into rug making, seeking prestige, learning a trade, and ultimately doing something that you love no matter what the sacrifice (including never really being able to take credit for it).  I highly recommend the book for anyone who enjoyed reading The Red Tent by Anita Diamant or Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji.  Since the protagonist in the novel is nameless, I'm not naming this cocktail either.
The deep, blood red color of this martini is amazing to look at and even better going down
The Cocktail with No Name
2 oz. Vodka
1 oz. Blood orange syrup (I used Torani)
3 oz. Pomegranate juice (I used Pom light)
Dash of orange bitters
Granulated sugar and grapefruit rinds, for garnish*
How to:  In a cocktail shaker mix ice, vodka, syrup, juice and bitters.  Shake for at least 30 seconds.  Strain into a chilled martini glass that has been rimmed with sugar and grapefruit rinds.  *Make your own rimming sugar using fresh grapefruit rinds and some granulated sugar (or raw sugar).

The fresh rimming sugar - a perfect combo of sweet and sour
The first of two that I enjoyed. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment