Friday, August 13, 2010

Book Review: The Season by Sarah MacLean

Orchard Books, 2009; 352 pages; ISBN 0545048869
My Goodreads Rating: 5 stars


When I rate my books on Goodreads.com I only give 5 stars to books that I would read again. This is one of those books. I absolutely loved it. Before I started reading books set in historical times (especially Regency England or anytime before 1900), I didn't think I would enjoy them. But I enjoy them just as much as I enjoy Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson in Sense and Sensibility. It must be a combination of the romance, the exquisite gowns, and the subtlety of the times. Set in early nineteenth century London, Alexandra Stafford is the only daughter of the Duke of Worthington and she is about to have her coming out season, along with her two best friends, Eliza and Vivi. They are all part of the "upper-crust" in London society. Alex also has three older brothers and a pseudo-brother Gavin who she has grown up with and gets along with very well. But as the season starts, Alex realizes that her feelings for Gavin are changing. Gavin is also dealing with some life-altering events as his father mysteriously was thrown off a horse and killed, which is not entirely plausible, so murder is suspected. Soon Alex and her three friends are following the murderer's tracks, and Gavin and Alex must deal with their blossoming romance and the dangers of British spies, traitors, and assassins. I felt like the story flowed very well and I liked that Alex was a female character that was both romantic and girly, but also independent and free-spirited. The chemistry between her and Gavin is palpable and the historical details are charming. I would recommend this one to readers of The Luxe series by Anna Godbersen and Bewitching Season and Betraying Season by Marissa Doyle.

Photo: From Goodreads.com website

No comments:

Post a Comment